Wednesday, July 22, 2009

start of ETL 504 -communication, organisational theory, and strategic planning.

Well, here we go. Another semester begins.
For ETL 504, which is on leadership, Roy suggested we write about what we know about the following topics - communication, organisational theory, and strategic planning.

I might know a lot about them, but I must say at the moment, not having done any reading - I am just guessing about what they might be about.

Communication: I have done a bit of reading about this in the past, including Crucial Conversations by Patterson and Grenny,which gives strategies for how to communicate clearly in work and personal situations. Much of the work is based on creating a 'shared pool of meaning' and looks at patterns we might go into that inhibit communication. Its a great theory and has had success in increasing productivity in many workplaces. I think good communication is crucial to creating a good workplace, and I know there were a lot of problems with communication at my previous school. As a leader you need to be able to listen to others without controlling them. You don't have to do what they want, but everyone wants to be payed the respect of being really listened to. I know I personally can find this difficult to do, particularly if I have an agenda.

Organisational Theory: Not really sure what this is about. Is it about how organisations are structured - hierarchical etc? Could also encompass how change can be achieved within organisations. We will see!

Strategic Planning: Again, not quite sure. How to set goals and achieve them? How to organise change? Creating long term plans?

Well, as I read I'm sure all will become clearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment