Monday, April 27, 2009

Constructing my own learning - forums, blogs and readings

Have just been reading the 401 forum. One of the posts talks about the blog and the forums being a part of a constructivist learning/teaching construct. I must admit I had not even thought of it this way. I have found the forums very useful, and they have absolutely helped me to construct my understanding of the course material.
I don't feel the same way about the blog though. I have always found reflective writing a bit of an artificial process and I must say that when I have asked my own students to create a log, the material they hand in is not really reflective of their learning.
Is it that the interaction is what is important to me and my students? I do miss tutorials, where you could have a face to face conversation with people about the topics.
I have enjoyed reading the chat room for assignment 1, but could not get involved because of the time it was on.
All this tells me that for me interaction and conversation are important elements in my learning - I suspect this is true for my pupils as well.
Reading the article by Campbel et al 2008 on RBL was also an eye opener for me. So this is what resource based learning looks like! Very inspiring, although I know how long it takes to prepare lessons like that. It is also good to have an insight into the work of teachers in different subject areas, as I am sure that this will help in my work as a TL. It is easier to collaborate when you know where someone is coming from. I agree with Jennifer in her post for the subforum (March 19th) in her enthusiasm for RBL. She said that she is often inspired by one really great resource which will get her looking for more. I know this has been true of my work in Drama. I hope it will be true of my work as a teacher librarian, when I don't know the subject as well.
Todd's (2008) article on collaboration was interesting. The point that collaboration is successful if the planning stage is thorough, is important and something I want to remember. Also his point that the main motivation for the TL needs to be improving outcomes for students rather than improving the TL's standing in the school. Being honest with myself I know that this will be something I will need to keep reminding myself about.

No comments:

Post a Comment