Wednesday, April 15, 2009

first info skills essay almost done

I am finished my rough draft of my 'scholarly paper' for ETL 504. Way over the word limit as usual.
I have really enjoyed this topic. Information Literacy is, I think, really important and having come from a school where there was an attempt to introduce IL that (in my opinion) has not been successful, it has been really interesting to analyse why. I could only address one problem in my essay, and so I chose one I could substantiate and back up, but the situation was a lot more complex.
There was a great TL at our school, with a lot of experience, passion and credibility and yet she was unable to get the school to adopt a real commitment to Information Literacy(IL). On speaking to her, she said that the principal, did not really understand what IL was and despite the TL giving talks about it and the principal paying lip service to it, she never really supported its implementation.
It seems to me that you can be a great TL, but if the Principal does not really support you, you are a bit lost.
The whole concept of an information literate community is an exciting one. I particularly responded to Henri's (2005) arguments that the TL place their emphasis on teaching the teachers. I think this is the only way that IL will spread through the school. This would require a very supportive Principal who understands the TL's role and IL. I'm not sure that many of these Principals exist.

On another topic - I am dreading the assignment on collection management. This part of librarianship is such a new world to me, I feel like I am all at sea. I definitely feel behind the eight ball as I am not a librarian and I don't even work in a school at the moment. I am in contact with two librarians from different schools, but definitely feel like a bit of a pain when I ring. However they have been very helpful and I do feel like I am learning so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment