Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Reading 1 504 Donham Summary

I wont be summarising all the readings like this but I thought I'd get on the right track by doing this one this way
TRAITS OF LEADERS
  • Technical Competence
  • Conceptual Skill
  • People Skills
  • Judgement
  • Character

Leaders act from an internal focus. ie) What do I have control over. NOT What control do others have over me and the situation.

Good to Great (Collins 2000) -

  • Understand what your strengths are and play to these while aiming to be as good as you can be in other areas.
  • Pursue what you are passionate about (for me at the moment this is info literacy)

Fullan (1996) Vision should have 3 attributes:

  • sharedness - everyone shares the same vision
  • concreteness -the degree to which people can really see what the vision will look like
  • clarity -the degree to which people are skilled at carrying it out

LEADING FROM THE MIDDLE

TL leads through influence rather than from a position of control. To have influence the TL must:

  • establish one's expertise
  • work collegially
  • maintain a good "say/do" ratio
  • establish a process for continual assessment and reflection

STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP

Key steps are:

  • anticipating what needs to happen,
  • devise a plan to set a course of action
  • organise resources to carry out the plan for success

Strategic Leadership requires

  1. setting standards for performance and measuring performance against those standards
    Involve teachers, students parents etc in setting the direction for the vision.
  2. Opportunism - seize opportunities as they arise

REFLECTION

Effective leaders reflect at least once a year on:

  • what they can do differently next year
  • What will I stop doing that I did last year
  • How and when will I know I am making progress

No comments:

Post a Comment